Incomm 2016

One of the biggest challenges for this project was going to be the creation and placement of an entire custom city. Early on in the project we decided to develop a building rig which would allow for any member of the team to jump in and create a unique building in an entirely procedural way. Once added to the scene, the general size and shape of the building was control from the colored guides in the editor view (above image width, length and height), then all the features of the building would adhere to the size and shape. Characteristics of the building would then be refined then through the user data.
Under the hood of the Xpresso rig. The initial calaculations are based on the guides for the width, length and height. Each xgroup controls a different aspect of the building's features, based on the data it recieves xpresso will then create prodedually the correct geometry for the building. 
With the tool built, we created a series of generic buildings which were standardised in size and shape. Using the content browser we could easily drop and drag a new building into the scene, choosing the most appropriate style of building for the area of the map. Then it was matter of resizing and rotating to the blueprint of the city, adjusting some of the features to make it look unique and add variation to the city.
 
Each year represents a big moment in the history of Incomm, in the design phase we knew we would need as much time as possible to be able to focus on the modeling and animation of these big moments in history. In saying that, the overall city needed to feel alive and be rich with movement. Hitting both of these goals meant we needed to build systems that would generate the city in ways that did not require any heavy lifting. Steve was the city planner/Architect who was designing the layouts of each of the scenes, we decided to use the maps from the design stage and use them as generators for city features. We exported various images to build the city in the 3d space. In the above video, there is a select sample of images we used to drive the systems we built. We built 80% of the city in 20% of the time, leaving us with 80% of the time left to focus on the custom design and animations.
Test renders for the clouds.
Using Octane as our main rendering for the project, the composite was built with various multipasses to achieve the stylised look.
 

Client: Incomm
Studio: Capacity
Creative Director: Ellerey Gave
My Role: Technical Direction, Look dev, Animation, Compositing
Art Director/Animation: Stephan Panicara
Back to Top